17 August 2008

Greetings from Guam

Wow, no posts for a month and now two within 24 hours of each other? Faithful readers of this blog (all 2 of you) will find that very hard to believe, but it's happening.

As most of you know, I'm in Guam right now for the TPARC field program where we're studying formation and transition of tropical cyclones. There will be more on that phase of the trip once I get some more pictures. This post is about what I've seen around Guam so far. Guam is very much like the U.S., and it should be considering it's part of our country. (However, it does have it's own Olympic team, as we found out watching the opening ceremonies.) When you look around it seems like a more run down version of Hawaii. That doesn't mean people are living in squalor, that's just what it seems like. Most of the things you'd see in a typical American town are here. Like Home Depot, Kmart, McDonalds, and Subway. No Walmart, though, so they've got that going for them.

Gas is definitely more expensive here. The cheapest I've seen is $4.44. According to those who have been here for a while with the project it was as high as $4.92 a few weeks ago before the price dropped. Yikes.

I'm staying in a pretty nice hotel on the beach. So far I haven't had a chance to explore around here too much, but I'll leave you all with a couple of pictures from my balcony.






No comments: